Founded in 2003, Kids in Flight is a non-profit organization that uses aviation related activities and airplane rides to give children with serious illnesses or disabilities an opportunity to escape by soaring above their crises, complications and struggles.
Through a variety of exciting, fun-filled programs and the thrill of flight, children and their families share unique bonding experiences that will be remembered forever.
Everyone knows that from the air, objects below appear smaller. For children fighting serious illnesses, the escape and excitement of flying can make their problems seem smaller as well, giving them a new perspective on their struggles. It is because of this that there is a sense of hope, determination, and perseverance that is the essence of Kids in Flight and all who are involved.
Kids in Flight is a non-profit, tax exempt organization. All donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law under Section 501(C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Learn more about Kids in Flight's founder, Maria Knausz.
"They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
- Isaiah 40:31
The mission of Kids in Flight™ is to use aviation to empower children with serious illnesses and disabilities and their families through flight experiences and educational programs.
The vision of Kids in Flight™ is to launch nationwide aviation related events and flight experiences for seriously ill children and their families in order to instill a positive attitude towards their personal crises. Through the creation of an educational curriculum, the organization will provide sensitivity training to create public and government awareness of the problems facing seriously ill children. Kids in Flight will also become a resource for the children and their families both in terms of education and aviation-related topics.
Core Values Statement
The core values of Kids in Flight™ integrate the wonder of aviation as seen through the eyes of children with the positive attitude and perseverance necessary to cope with serious illness through integrity, trust, inspiration, determination and compassion.
- We will hold ourselves to the highest standards in our words and actions.
- We will always behave ethically and require similar practices of all those associated with the organization.
- We will always operate with the safety and happiness of the children as our highest priority.
- We will present the organization and its associated individuals in a straightforward manner.
- We will be a reliable resource for the children and families experiencing serious illnesses and health-related issues.
- We will be role models for a positive attitude and optimistic outlook in all situations.
- We will provide positive, educational experiences to facilitate perseverance among participant's families through our understanding, experience and knowledge.
- We will always be sensitive to the nature and severity of the crises faced by each family.